A word of caution for the nature lovers!
Some ticks transmit bacteria and viruses that cause illnesses such as Lyme disease, babesiosis, tick-borne meningoencephalitis and others.
Your risk of these diseases depends where you live and how well you protect yourself.
In Croatia the risk is highest in Medjimurje and the Varazdin and Zagreb area. These diseases are more common in May, June and July but can be seen year around!
What To Do In Case Of Tick Bite
- Remove tick promptly and carefully: use tweezers or specially designed tick removal kits
- Wash the area around the tick bite as well as your hands with soap and water
- If you are unable to remove the tick completely call your doctor to remove it with a sterile needle
- DO NOT….pull at the tick or put oil, petroleum jelly or nail polish on the area!
Rash typical of lyme disease
Observe Person Bitten By A Tick For 30 Days For Signs Of Infection!!
Protection Is Key
- Wear long pants tucked in socks, long sleeves and a hat when in wooded area
- Use an insect repellent containing DEET
- Inspect your child, pets and yourself thoroughly after outdoor activities
- For any questions or concerns talk to your physician!!