Our Lower School Philosophy
The Lower School encompasses children in Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 5 from age 3 to about age 10. Our primary purpose is to foster children's natural curiosity and sense of wonder while helping them to develop a sense of themselves as lifelong learners and problem solvers.
At the same time, students must acquire skills in reading, writing, math, as well as in creativity, collaboration, communication and critical thinking. They must also be taught to become skillful decision-makers and responsible citizens in a global community. The diversity of our many cultures is a strength that we use to make AISZ an exceptional educational environment that supports this development.
At the American International School of Zagreb we believe:
- that each student is unique and has the potential, ability, and right to learn.
- that students have different learning styles and learn best with differentiated instruction.
- that students need and deserve a safe and healthy learning environment.
- that integrity and trust within the school community are the basis for an effective partnership of students, family, staff, and administration, leading to quality education.
- that promoting respect, tolerance and appreciation for diversity helps develop responsible world citizens.
- that a holistic approach to education develops respect for the self, the communities in which we live, and the environment, and prepares students for a changing world.
- that opportunities for enrichment and growth for students and staff are necessary to maintain high standards and expectations.
- that encouraging curiosity, creativity and critical thinking builds a foundation for life-long learning.
Pease see links to the pages below, which will provide you with details on life in the AISZ Lower School. Current parents can log in to this page to see more details about the LS curriculum in each grade.
Welcome to the American International School of Zagreb. We look forward to you joining our community of learners.